MUD #127 Info

Harris County MUD #127: Water and Other Services

Our water is a finite resource and is getting more expensive and complex to protect and utilize as suburban areas expand. It’s important for residents to understand where our tap water comes from and what it takes to handle the waste streams we generate.

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) is charged with “protecting our state’s human and natural resources consistent with sustainable economic development.” The Commission’s goal is “clean air, clean water, and the safe management of waste.”

TCEQ, Water Districts & MUDs

Currently in Texas, the management of water resources and water rights is handled through a variety of “water districts,” which were created under Chapter 54 of the Texas Water Code and have the authority to tax, borrow, and issue bonds. Water district activities are overseen by TCEQ.

In many areas of Harris County that are outside the City of Houston, water is managed by a Municipal Utility District (MUD). MUDs are political subdivisions of the state authorized by TCEQ to provide water, sewage, solid waste and other services within the MUD boundaries.

Brenwood Park is part of Harris County MUD #127. Other adjacent subdivisions developed after the creation of Brenwood Park are also part of MUD #127 including Brenwood Trails, Brenwood Village and Brenwood Section 7. MUD #127 is part of a larger governing body called the West Harris County Regional Water Authority (WHCRWA).

Surface subsidence has been identified as a critical issue for the Houston-Galveston area, and MUD #127 has by legal mandate stopped pumping its water from an onsite well. Rather we rely on infrastructure built and managed by WHCRWA to pipe surface water from Lake Houston to our district. The onsite well remains operational as needed for emergency situations. Eventually all districts in the area affected by subsidence will do the same.

To fully understand the financial and environmental costs of managing our water and other services and how this is accomplished, residents are encouraged to ask questions, educate themselves by utilizing the resources located at the MUD 127 website (, and actively participate in the processes which affect water management.

Instructions for paying water bills can also be found at